Saint Croix Courier, St. Stephen, NB
December 7, 1893
GLIMPSES OF THE PAST
Contributions to the History of Charlotte County and the Border Towns.
XCIV ST. ANDREWS GRANTEES-Continued.
In the list of St. Andrews grantees, there were at least three medical men-Dr. Caleff, before mentioned, Dr. Balthazar Stilckey, who was a resident for a short time only, and Dr. Thomas Emerson. The latter, a grantee of St. Patrick, as well as of St. Andrews, had been attached to the Royal Fencible American regiment. He was afterwards surgeons mate, or assistant surgeon, in the Kings New Brunswick regiment; and subsequently held the same position in the 104th, which he accompanied in the famous winter march to Canada. Dr. Emerson probably practised in St. Andrews and the adjoining parishes for some time, and then removed to St. John.1 He was a coroner for Charlotte in 1792; in 1811 he was practising in Fredericton, as shown by MSS. of the late Dr. DeWolfe, of St. Stephen. Sabine says he died in Fredericton in 1843, aged 81 years. He was a dashing rider and loved fast horses.
Jacob Young came from Marblehead, probably before the arrival of the Penobscot Loyalists. His father, (or grandfather,) also named Jacob Young, was a German by birth, who came to Massachusetts, and, according to family records, dieth aged 77 years October 26 day 1777; but the place of his death is not mentioned. A third (or fourth) Jacob Young, the eldest son of the grantee, known as Captain Jacob, was born on St. Andrews island. The family subsequently removed to the place now called Oak Haven, on the shore of Oak Point Bay. There is nothing in family tradition (so far as the writer is aware) to connect them with Ephraim Young2 of St. Andrews, and afterwards of St. Patrick and St. George; though the name, and the presumption that both came from Marblehead, would seem to suggest a possible relationship.
The two Colin Campbells of the St. Andrews grant were probably father and son.3 Lieutenant (afterwards Captain) Colin Campbell had been a quartermaster in DeLanceys Second battalion.4 He came from Scotland, with his wife and two of his sons, Alexander and Colin. The latter, afterwards sheriff of Charlotte, was probably, though an infant at the time, the Colin Campbell, jr., of the grant. Captain Colin Campbell was one of the representatives of Charlotte in the first house of assembly; (being returned at a bye-election, to fill the place of Dr. Paine, who left the province in 1787.)5 He did business as a merchant in St. Andrews for some years, but was not financially successful; and finally returned to Scotland in 1808. He was a descendant of Colin Campbell, third Earl of Argyle, (ancestor of the present Duke of Argyle,) who lived about the beginning of the sixteenth century. His eldest son, Rear Admiral Donald Campbell of the British navy, married a daughter of Sir Howard Douglas; and his grandson, Admiral Colin York Campbell, is at present the head of the younger branch of the family.
Colin Campbell, the son of Capt. Campbell above mentioned, was born in Glasgow, and was not yet two years old when the grants were issued. Before reaching mans estate he was sent home to Scotland to be educated. After his return to St. Andrews, he married a daughter of Capt. James Campbell, (of the St. George grants,)6 who was a cousin of Sir Archibald Campbell, the successor of Sir Howard Douglas as governor of New Brunswick. After representing Charlotte in the legislature for a number of years, he was made sheriff in 1833. He died at St. Andrews in 1843. The Whitlocks of St. Stephen are his grandchildren.
John Campbell of Barbeck, a nephew of Capt. Colin Campbell, had been commandant of the 74th regiment. The business begun by his uncle was carried on for a time by him as head of the firm of John Campbell & Co.
Capt. David Mowat was a master mariner, and a cousin of Capt. Henry Mowat, of the Albany, who commanded the kings ships in the gallant defence of the Penobscot, in 1779. He (or his son) married a daughter of Dr. Caleff.
James Mahoney, mariner, and Jean, his wife, settled on St. Andrews Island, where the family burial ground may be seen, on the side next the harbor. Their descendants occupied the island for many years.
1He was at St. John in 1806, as appears from his having given evidence at a trial held there in that year, on which evidence very largely an unfortunate schoolmaster named John W. Smith, who apparently believed in the motto, Spare the rod, and spoil the child, was convicted and ordered to stand for one hour in the pillory at the foot of King street. That day was a field day for the school boys, who doubtless enjoyed the sight of an unpopular master holding a levee of that description. The evidence at Smiths trial is said to have been voluminous, covering many pages. The case must have been considered of some importance, as the crown was represented by Attorney-General Bliss, Solicitor-General Chipman, Thomas Wetmore and Charles J. Peters.-Rev. W. O. Raymond.
3It is difficult to distinguish them from other Loyalists of the same name, one of whom was appointed collector of customs at St. Andrews in 1824, and held the position until he was superannuated; afterwards removing to Weymouth, N. S., where he died in 1834. He was born in Inverary, Scotland, in 1752; and, with his father and his two brothers, Alexander and Archibald, who were cadets for the 73rd Highlanders, sailed for New York during the rebellion. After the close of the war, he came to Nova Scotia; and before coming to St. Andrews he practised law for a number of years at Shelburne. Still another Colin Campbell, mentioned by Sabine, lived for a time at St. John, N. B.; and his widow, a daughter of Bishop Seabury, died in New York in 1804.
6Articles lxxv and lxxvi.
Correction: Article XCVI contains the following correction to this one: "In the twenty-eighth line of the third paragraph, for daughter, read sister." (The twenty-eighth line is the seventh line here.) At the end of the same article there is much more information on this Campbell family.
Caren's note: The two Colin Campbells of the St. Andrews grant
were not father and son. The Colin Campbell Junior who received a
grant of 100 acres of land in Passamaquoddy on Aug. 3, 1784 (PANB
Land Grants RS686, Volume: A, page 176, Grant number 96) was not
the two-year-old son of Colin Campbell discussed here, but a
different man. Colin Campbell Junior who was later sheriff of the
county stated in a petition dated Apr. 16, 1816 (PANB Land
Petitions RS108, film F4179) that he had earlier applied for 500
acres of land, but he received a reduced amount, "...a
Reduction having been made from the Quantity asked for, in
Consequence of a Lot being previously granted to a Colin Campbell
Junior (since dead) supposed to have been your Memorialist."
Colin Campbell was not a quartermaster in DeLanceys Second battalion, but was associated with the 74th Regiment. Also, Colin Campbell and his wife, Susannah, came with their four young sons: Donald, Alexander, John and Colin. See 74th Regiment Background for more information. This page also explains that John Campbell of Barbreck, who raised the 74th Regiment, was the uncle rather than the nephew of Colin Campbell Senior.